Email Application Setup: Apple Mail
This tutorial will show you how to set up an email account in MacOS Mail step by step.
- Add a New Account
- Account Settings
- Incoming Mail Server Settings
- Outgoing Mail Server Settings
- Complete Set Up for Yosemite OS
- From the Mail menu, select Preferences.
- Choose Preferences.
3. In the Mail Preferences window, click the Accounts icon.
4. To create a new account, click the + (plus) sign in the Accounts box.
- Select Other Mail Account…
- Fill in your Full name, or the name you want to appear on your sent email.
* Substitute your own domain name for example.com.
3. Fill in your Email Address.
4. Write your email account’s password.
5. Click the Next button.
6. “Account must be manually configured,” a notice should display. Next should be selected.
You must choose whether you want to utilise POP3 or IMAP when entering the information for your Incoming Mail Server. POP3 downloads and deletes all of our server’s emails, whereas IMAP synchronises your email client(s) with our server’s emails. If you plan to use this email account on several devices, IMAP is the best option because everything will be synchronised.
Not sure if you want POP or IMAP? Read more about it on Webmail and Email Applications: IMAP and POP.
* Replace example.com with your own domain name.
- Select your account type, either IMAP or POP.
- Enter mail.example.com as the Incoming mail server, replacing example.com with your own domain name.
- Fill in your full email address as the User Name.
- Write the Password of your email account.
- Configure the Incoming and Outgoing Server. For more information, refer to Email Client Settings.
- After you’ve configured the incoming server, you’ll need to configure the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP).
- Click the Server Settings button. You will be prompted to further configure your Outgoing Mail Server.
- Enter the Outgoing Mail Server again.
- Select your Server port:
- Choose Password for Authentication.
- Replace the User Name and password for that email account with the full email address.
- Tap the OK button when finished.
That’s it! Your email account should be added to your Apple Mail client.
Note: If you choose to use an SSL, you may see an SSL warning. Please see the SSL Certificate Warning for the next steps.
You may receive a message warning that the certificate is not trusted if you want to utilise SSL. If you get this message, take the following steps:
- Tap the Show Certificate button.
- Check the box to Always trust the certificate.
- Click the Connect button.
If you’re using Yosemite, we recommend that you follow these steps to keep your account settings from changing. This only applies to Yosemite-running Apple systems.
- Select Preferences from the Mail menu.
- Click on the Accounts tab.
- Next, click on Advanced.
- Uncheck the “Automatically detect and maintain settings” option.
5. Now click on the Account Information tab.
6. Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), select Edit SMTP Server List.
7. Click the Advanced tab.
8. Uncheck the Automatically detect and maintain settings option.
9. When you’re finished, click the OK button.