Want to grow your business? Want to increase your following by engaging with clients directly and efficiently? Social media campaigns are essential for any company in the twenty-first century. Here are some ways your brand can improve its presence on these platforms.
In the age of smartphones and digital marketing, it’s no wonder that social media has become one of the most commonly used platforms for businesses to increase brand awareness and connect with clients. 90% of brands actively use social media, and over 40% of digital consumers use these platforms as information sources. It is essential to know how to grow your social media audience and stand out from competitors.
Choose the right platform for your business
Just because all avenues of social media are available to you, doesn’t mean you should use all of them. Knowing where the majority of your client base lies is crucial to optimising your brand awareness. Unlike Instagram, Facebook offers the option of posting written information as a stand-alone message, not just in addition to a photo.
How to know which platform is right for you? First, you should distinguish who your target audience is, where they reside and what it is you want to communicate to them. For example, if you specialise in web design, Instagram may be a useful platform to showcase the visual element of your work. In this way, you can improve your social media presence by customising your message to the appropriate audience. Avoid simply getting lost in the noise of the internet.
Listed below are some examples of apps and their function.
- Facebook – Being the most popular medium, Facebook has 2.32 billion active monthly users. It is useful because it provides an array of communication styles – from visual to written, and functions – from liking to commenting.
- Instagram – Aesthetically driven, perfect for clients who want a quick snapshot of what your business offers. Great for showing recent content.
- LinkedIn – All about establishing connections between brands, industries and employees. LinkedIn is vital if you want professional credibility.
- Snapchat – One of the fastest growing social networking apps, businesses can leverage their brand identity by connecting with influencers. Also good for offering promotions and providing day-to-day coverage of current projects.
- Twitter – Ideal for businesses who are driven by immediacy and who have high turnover (i.e. news platforms). Also perfect for communicating company news and announcements, as well as trending topics.
These are just a few platforms that your brand can use as a marketing tool. Additionally, each social media platform has different strengths and weaknesses. Understanding the core functionality behind each platform is key to improving your social media presence and identity.
Develop a consistent voice
The consistency and accessibility of your brand’s message can help to grow your social media audience. If there is conflicting or confusing information between each platform, customers will leave and seek superior value elsewhere. Ensure that your business regularly cross-checks all digital material across multiple channels.
Successful communication is key to attracting and retaining customers, and social media provides the opportunity to directly communicate with current or potential clients. Communicating via the direct messaging function on Facebook, Instagram and other platforms shows customers that you care about their needs. It also shows that you’re willing to address them in a timely manner.
Have a content plan
Knowing which content to post is necessary to grow your social media audience. In order to decide what should be shared publicly, you must first research your target demographic. Know what they want to see and what company information they’re seeking. Then review your company’s FAQ’s, and plan your content accordingly.
For example, if you own a hairdressing salon, it may be beneficial for you to post photos of the finished results on real-life clients. This enables your audience to gain an understanding of your brand’s offerings prior to the service experience. Regardless of what you offer, relevant and high quality content always helps to improve your social media presence.
Actively engage with your audience
Always ensure that you are regularly responding to customers who engage with your social media platforms. This could include the following:
- Responding to comments on posts
- Addressing negative comments
- Liking or sharing posts related to your business
- Thanking customers for their involvement
- Starting relevant conversations
Schedule your posts
Buffer is a leading app in managing content across all social media platforms. It enables you to schedule a time to share or upload content, as well as track its performance over time. Having an app in place allows you to learn what content is the most engaging for social users. You can use this information to develop useful strategies to help grow your social media audience.